Thursday 7 March 2013

Interview questions and how to tackle them! #1

Why medicine?

Probably the most obvious question they can ask but also the most difficult!
There are different approaches to this:
1.'timeline' method
As the name suggests, you talk about how your interest grew and reflect on your growth and what makes you sure medicine is something you will be able to stick to!
2. Listing method
This would probably be the way most people would choose to answer this question! You should state at least 2 reasons as to why medicine is your career choice and then reflect on why these are the reasons.
For example:
Point:I want to do medicine because I enjoy working in a team.
Reason:From my experiences in working with others through my participation in my school's activities, I have come to realise that I thrive in an environment where others can support me and where I can provide others with motivation. For example, as part of my school's basketball team, I have come to experience working with different people and understand the different dynamics of different teams. I feel that Medicine is a career where I would get to interact with other professionals of the multi disciplinary team and I think that such an environment will help em achieve my potential

What makes a good answer, in my opinion, would be a good reflection and insight into YOUR personality, after all,that's why you've been called for an interview- so that the school can learn more about YOU!

Why XXX Medical school?
Here are things that you can consider talking about for each medical school:
Course structure: Clinically led teaching? PBL? Lecture based? Integrated? Early clinical experience/exposure? Special aspects of the course that is unique to the medical school?
City: Location?Accessibility?Transport links? Activities available?
University: Facilities?Reputation?(Student satisfaction,Ranking)Strength or research?

I would suggest reading up on what news had been published in newspapers from the University recently! Just google : XXX medical school research news and then read news from about 3 months ago!

That is all for now! I shall post more soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.