Sunday 24 March 2013

A Gap year idea

I have been looking through information on volunteering while being on a holiday because it's always been an interest to me.

So today i came across this pamphlet( Link http://ww4.statravel.co.uk/gets_apps/downloads/brochure/2012/volunteering/Volunteer-Work-and-Learn.pdf)

And it looks really good!

Well, although the volunteering may not have to do with 'medicne-stuff' and there aren't any clinical placements or anything, I still think that volunteering is definitely something that every applicant should try taking some time out to do.

Personally, I did not do much volunteering, just 2 months in a Hospice but i felt that that experience had really changed the way I look at things, especially how i look upon the lives of elderly people. When i came back from Summer after my voluntary work,I found myself paying more attention to elderly people around me. In the UK, there is a ageing population and as time passes, the elderly are going to make up a huge part of the population and this is something that will affect every aspect of society! Health care will definitely face the weight of this and hence I believe that as a person aspiring to go into this career, being able to interact and come to understand the elderly is something really important.

Coming back to the main topic, I felt that the pamphlet looks really promising and it sounds like any of these trips would be great fun! If I am able to save up some money perhaps i would go for a short one(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.